Monday, March 31, 2014

MACON GEORGIA - Old Historical Churches

Being new to Georgia is exciting. The annual activities that await us are being sought after with much anticipation, so imagine our disappointment when we arrived at Macon's Cherry Blossom Festival to find it rained out before we could even park our car. And the, Spirit Walk at the Riverside Cemetery, also close due to the weather; what else was there to do and see we thought as we drove around; wait was it this I see! A huge church on a hill with two towering steeples reaching tall into the sky. Quickly I grabbed my camera and even before my husband brought the car to a complete stop I was opening door and bounding out ready to get the shot of that architectural beauty, even as the mist turned into heavier raindrops I ran as close as I could to fill up my lens. I even questioned myself for packing only the 50mm to keep my camera lite. Now I'm not one to bring my photography gear into bad weather, but this...this was exceptional, this was something that made my eyes light up and actually made me giddy! I didn't know what church it was, but beautiful doesn't even describe it, more like stunning, gorgeous, magnificent are better words to describe it's Gothic charm.

So, just for this blog, I googled, 'historic churches in Macon', and the first search brought up, St. Joseph's Catholic Church on Poplar St. That's it! This is the one, and here's how it's described;  This historic church has Romanesque Neo-gothic architecture with twin spires topped with crosses that measure 200 feet in height. Graced with 60 stained glass windows which teach the story of Salvation, a white Carrara marbled alter and pulpit, lighted vigil candles and an organ with 1,000 pipes.  

Now I didn't go inside, we were driving, but I would love to see the inside sometime and take more pictures. 
Here's a link to the website with a picture of it's interior, absolutely beautiful. http://www.stjosephmacon.com.
I hope you enjoy looking at this magnificent building as much as I do. 

Ciao, Simply Dorine Atlanta and Macon, Georgia Wedding Photographer.




1 comment: